Carpets are more than just another flooring option for your home. Carpets now can be beautifully manufactured to elevate the beauty of your indoor environment and provide a soft surface for your feet. However, to keep carpets in great condition, you must do what you can to avoid getting them damaged or stained in between professional carpet cleanings.
The following tips will not only help keep your carpet looking fresh and new but will help to extend the life of your carpet and increase the amount of time between regular, professional carpet cleanings.
• Vacuum heavy traffic areas 2 to 3 times a week, and the rest of your carpet once a week. Take your time while you are vacuuming. A slow and steady pace allows your vacuum to pick up more dirt and debris from your carpet fibers.
• Use an indoor and an outdoor welcome mat to reduce the amount of dirt that enters your home. Shoes can track in a significant amount of dirt and grime from the outside world. Placing outdoor mats at entryways can help prevent some of these particles from entering your home and damaging your carpets. You may also ask housemates and visitors to take their shoes off when they enter your home.
• Re-apply stain-resistant protector to your carpet regularly and after cleanings; the original protection naturally wears down over time. Professional carpet cleaning companies can help you chose the right protectant for your carpets.
• To prevent permanent damage when a stain or spot occurs, act immediately with a spot removal plan. Remember, stain-resistant does not mean stain-proof. When attempting to clean up a spot, make sure you are blotting with a damp washcloth and not rubbing the spill.
• Where possible, discourage housemates from eating or drinking in rooms with carpet.
• Test spot removal products for colorfastness—before you use them. This is best accomplished in an inconspicuous area.
• Test area rugs for colorfastness before placing them over your carpet. Some rugs may bleed their colors damaging or staining the carpet underneath.
• Vacuum under area rugs and furniture periodically. This removes any loose dirt that may be trapped between the rug and your carpet or hiding under your furniture.
• Leave the protective blocks in place for a couple days after a professional carpet cleaning. This helps to avoid any color transfer from your furniture to the floor.
• Clean your furniture and your carpet at the same time. Your upholstery collects just as much dirt and dust as your carpet do. A professional cleaning gets rid of the everyday dirt and soil.
Removing carpet odors is another important part of maintaining your carpets, and usually the hardest. From cooking to kids to pets, your home sees plenty of action, and carpet odor is inevitable. But no one wants carpet odors to linger. Unfortunately, scented candles and sprays only mask the odors, and they certainly can’t reach odors that are absorbed into your carpet. Don’t wait until your carpets start to smell to call in a professional carpet cleaning company like PCS Niagara.